Monday, March 3, 2008

Is there a down side to being a dog ?

More Pictures and captions later

I have at last come to a decision on the important question of “is there any downside to being a dog” - do I want to come back as a human?.

With my help and control, I get the walks I need, they open and close the doors (sometimes dozens of times when I am restless) for me. I get the food I want (they know I will go on hunger strike if they buy new stuff I don’t like) always a big portion of what they eat. I get my cheese fix and jumbone every day, and a big bowl of water (but for their entertainment I usually decide to drink from my bucket on the terrace – keep um guessing I say !). I have my own space, they have special covers for me, so I can lounge and sleep on the settees if I feel inclined. I join them on the bed most morning to have a cuddle, and have so many mates, dogs and humans.






Just pretending – I have to let them think I do doggy things, but its fun to see them do and say stupid things !



But there is one downside, just one. Why didn’t we get a zip in our fur coats?
It was 34 deg in the sun today, 23 deg in shade, and my thick curly black fur got me hot and bothered. If only I could have slipped out of it for a cool down. Well they are always saying not everything is perfect in the world, and you cannot change that, so I’ll just have to put up with air-conditioning !

The sun, blue skies and crystal clear seas, are having an effect of dads, (I am trying not to show opinion) but they could be starting a downer!. Alan said on the drive today that in less than a week we will be leaving the Mediterranean on route back home – then it went quiet. Still I try to make them positive we still have 10 days left, so lets enjoy it, and it worked cus we had a great day.
You turn from the beach and it’s a lake





A walk on a summers day !

How’s this for seascape

We drove a short hop today 140km up the coast to the start of the Costa Dorada. The journey took us through castle country, or so it seamed, with lots of large a small castles, and paradors on the hills we passed by. The vista has now changed from vivid orange to subtle olive, as the area now covered in groves. Just past the beautiful area of the Ebro Delta, is the small town of L’Ametlla de Mar, and our campsite is about 2km past the village, and is less than 400 m from the sea.
Our beach for a couple of days

Its just so perfect

What a difference a day makes (I think I have used that line before, but its true again). This site is open all year, but unlike yesterdays, had only 4 units set up, and even by early evening, probably 10 pitches used. Its just great, apart from there is only one mate, and his humans don’t seem to want him to meet me – hey you cannot win them all –his loss !. Admittedly the site is not running any of its extensive programme, that only starts in the summer, including what look like a fabulous restaurant, but for us its PERFECT. Pitched up under small olive trees, Guy was all beaming smiles; we were back in the land of the “BBC”. And for the icing on the cake cheapish wifi that works (nearly).
The new restaurant that’s not yet open – pity they say

We went to the beach, just look at the pics to see that this is a great place, I found myself bounding about (being a bit of a puppy – well its what an adventures for!). We continued over the headland path (5 mins walk, to the next bay, a natural lake or two, and wooded cliffs dappled in the late afternoon sun ( think my literary skills are improving – may see what job opportunities there are for Bernese writers !).
Our return to site was past groves of olive trees, which were being pruned by a group of humans.
An old Spanish windmill at the end of our walk

Now we can settle to a nice Sunday dinner, Alan at the controls as I write, the other has just lifted the chilled bubbles from the fridge, and I have my jumbone.

Life don’t get much better than this !




Distance today : 140 km
Total do date : 3791 km
Tolls : € 9.00
Best diesel price: € 1.10Lt
LPG € lt